Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Interdependent Challenge Day 5

I had an interesting conversation with a friend today about social media. Even though I write a blog (and yes, have two websites) I shy away from the Facebook crowd. I am not sure of all the reasons or even if my reasoning is logical but it feels too much like voyeurism. My friend talked, however, of a more unique way of approaching the subject: one of sharing ideas, giving freely from the heart; of networking and collaboration. My question today: is the social media movement a modern method of interdependence? Or, am I really asking, does true interdependence require a real, face-to-face social interaction?

I started to answer this and it just got too convoluted… or perhaps just uncomfortable as I do tend to prefer emails to phone calls, and reading a book over going to a party. So, I am going to sit on this for a bit and write when its clearer in my mind but please feel free to send in your comments.

On another note, during the mini crisis with my father the other day, my sister and I were in contact with three different bureaucracies: the RCMP, the hospital and ICBC (insurance). Surprisingly, all encounters were genuinely supportive and empathetic. It was amazing. Sometimes all it took was a kind word or patience for that extra question but the process seemed to glide along. This was a lovely form of interdependence where there was respectful service, a mutuality of what it is to be and feel human, and integrous leadership.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Jo-Ann, as you know, I do use Facebook. I find it great to relate on some levele to friends and family who live in other parts of the world, and who I don't have a face to face. telephone or even e-mail connection with very often. It helps us be a part of each other's life, and when one of us needs support or is celebrating, we know and can connect via email, phone, etc. So, yes, I think it does promote interdependence! PS I set my security high - only friends get to see my info, and I use an https connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hear you Bonnie. I think I am biased against because I can sometimes use email (my archaic facebook) to hide behind .... trading in real face to face interactions with a cyberconnection. But more on that later. Perhaps it all comes down to intent.

    Thanks as always, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete