Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 7/7 The Interdependent Challenge

I have a love-hate relationship with the Olympics. I love the thrill of skilled competition, the prowess of the athletes, and the excitement of the crowd. I don’t, however, love the quest of medals and the disappointment expressed by government and media when the medal collection is low. Is it really that important when coming in 5th or 10th still means you are an incredible, world class athlete? Does athleticism really equate to whose country is better than another or should we not have another standard of measurement like compassion, egalitarianism and/or fair government. I could go on and might still in a future blog but on this last day of the 2010 Winter Olympics, hosted by my hometown of Vancouver, and on the last day of the Interdependent Challenge, I will only talk of the positive: the examples I saw of true Olympic interdependent spirit.

There was the international admiration and support of Joannie Rochette, who went on to compete two days after the sudden death of her mother; the camaraderie between the Slovakian and Canadian men’s hockey teams after a hard fought battle in the semi-finals; the good natured gesture from the Norwegian Men’s curling coach to the winning Canadian team; and the quote from a Slovakian Woman Hockey player that basically said she didn’t care they lost 18-0 against Canada, they were just thrilled to play. I saw respect for athleticism that went beyond international borders and a mutual love of sport and competition. And on this final day I saw a community of athletes celebrate together in a party of goodwill and fun.

The world came to Vancouver and, in the few times I ventured downtown, felt only a warm sensation of goodwill and cheer. We maintained our identity while spreading the welcome mat to all who came.

Mutuality, Respect, Community: Interdependence

No comments:

Post a Comment